Dr. Paul G. Rubin (he/him) is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy at the University of Utah. Dr. Rubin’s research agenda and interest in higher education draws on a professional career that includes stints in traditional and non-traditional areas of the field, including undergraduate and graduate admissions and financial aid, executive search, and policy. Prior to joining the University of Utah in 2018, Dr. Rubin was the recipient of an AERA Congressional Fellowship/AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowship and served as an education and oversight fellow in the United States Senate.
- Rubin, P. G., Billings, M. S., Hammond, L., & Gándara, D. (Accepted). State higher education funding during COVID-19: Exploring state-level characteristics influencing financing decisions. American Behavioral Scientist.
- Hammond, L., Adams, P., Rubin, P. G., & Ness, E. C. (2022). A rhetorical analysis of intermediary organization documents on college completion policy. Educational Policy, 36(2), 377-406. https://doi.org/10.1177/0895904819888231.
- Rubin, P. G. (2021). Political appointees vs. elected officials: Examining how the selection mechanism for state governing agency board members influences responsiveness to stakeholders in higher education policy-making. Education Policy Analysis Archives, 29(115), 1-23. https://doi.org/10.14507/epaa.29.5214
- Rubin, P. G., & Ness, E. C. (2021). State higher education governing agencies and the knowledge brokering process: Investigating their role as multi-facing organizations in the United States. Higher Education Policy, 34(3), 643-663. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41307-019-00155-z.
- Rubin, P. G., & González Canché, M. S. (2019). Test-flexible admissions policies and student enrollment demographics: Examining a public research university. The Review of Higher Education, 42(4), 1337-1371. http://doi.org/10.1353/rhe.2019.0068.
- Rubin, P. G., Billings, M. S., Gándara, D., & Hammond, L. (2022, April 21-26). State higher education funding during COVID-19: Exploring state-level characteristics influencing financing decisions. [Paper presentation]. American Educational Research Association annual meeting, San Diego, CA.
- Billings, M. S., Rubin, P. G., Gándara, D., & Hammond, L. (2021, November 3-6). Higher education policy narratives during COVID-19: How are budget requests justified to state legislatures? [Paper presentation]. Association for the Study of Higher Education annual conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Rubin, P. G., & Taylor, J. L. (2021, April 8-12). Initiative overload? Challenges facing Tri-City College’s goal of serving stopped-out students [Paper presentation]. American Educational Research Association annual meeting, Virtual conference.
- Gándara, D., Billings, M. S., Rubin, P. G., & Hammond, L. (2021, March 17-20). Reconsidering the “balance wheel” analogy: Decisions on state funding of higher education during the COVID-19 pandemic [Paper presentation]. Association for Education Finance and Policy annual conference, Virtual conference.
- Rubin, P. G., & Baser, S. (2020, March 19-21). For-profit colleges converting to non-profit status: Can tigers change their stripes? [Paper presentation]. Association for Education Finance and Policy annual conference, Virtual conference.
Honors & Awards
- ASHE/Ascendium Fellow, Team Member on Student Success & Funding Research Team (2021)
- ASHE at 50 Strategic Planning: Voice/External Relations Workgroup Member (2019)
- AERA Congressional Fellowship/AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowship (2017)
- William L. Boyd National Education Politics Workshop, Emerging Scholar (2016)