You are here:

Information for Non-Matriculated Students

If you are a non-matriculated student taking classes in the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy, following these steps will ensure that your non-matriculated experience is as painless as possible for everyone.

  1. The first step is to contact admissions and fill out an application as a non-matriculated student. More information about applying as a non-matriculated student is available on the admissions page at Pay attention to the deadline for applications.
  2. Next, email the advisor for the program for which you will be applying.
    PreK-12 MEd/Administrative Licensure OR
    PreK-12 Teacher Leadership: Shari Fraser,
    MEd/Student Affairs Emphasis: Sharon Aiken-Wisniewski,
    PhD Program: Larry Parker,
    The advisor will be able to give you information about program requirements, admission requirements, which classes you should take, and other departmental and program information.
  3. With the help of the advisor, you should next select the class or classes you wish to take, and then contact the instructor of these classes to obtain permission to enroll. Once the instructor has given you permission to enroll, please forward the email from the instructor giving you permission to the academic coordinator, Marilynn Howard ( Please include your student ID number and the class you wish to take.
  4. The final step is, of course, paying your tuition. You should also read the Graduate School's policies concerning non-matriculating students. Those policies can be found on their website at Especially, be aware that the Graduate School limits the amount of credits that can transfer into a graduate program to nine credit hours. If you are an undergraduate student taking graduate level courses, the limit is six credit hours (assuming that those credits are not needed to count toward your undergraduate degree. Please read the Graduate School guidelines for more information).

Our department accepts admissions applications once per year. This admissions process begins in about October each year for those wishing to begin classes in summer or fall semester the following year. Information about how to apply can be found on our website beginning in October. If you have any questions, please email or call 581-6714.

Good Luck!

Last Updated: 10/9/20